Saturday, July 27, 2019

BioPhysics Wk 1


"People should still eat healthy food" - Do we rely too heavily on supplements to provide antioxidants?

Perhaps. But it can be challenging to change bad habits. There’s the idea that if we want to change our habits, it is usually easier to add something new rather than take away something. For example, it might be easier for someone to add a dance class for exercise to their weekly routine than it would be to give up smoking. So, for people who are making efforts to improve their health after maybe years of not paying attention to it, it might be easier for them to take a pill -a supplement- rather than change their eating patterns or learning to cook food and shop or order at a restaurant in new ways.  Also, I can think of another instance where supplements could be good - someone who was recently getting sober after years of using drugs or alcohol.  Supplements could support their recovery. In such cases, taking supplements would be an improvement. The shift in eating patterns would come later as the next step.

That being said, healthy food is preventive medicine. The definition of "healthy food" will  differ from person to person based on their constitution. Ayruveda takes the view that proper food IS proper medicine.  If a person is able to get complete nutrition -including antioxidants- from their chosen diet this would be the best way to go.  The downside to supplements is that they are (usually) isolated nutrients perhaps even synthetically produced. Also purchasing supplements will increase anyone’s grocery bill significantly. Many people (I'm generalizing) are going off commercials or dubious internet results for making nutrition decisions and may end up taking supplements that are expensive and not effective or even necessary. 

Fruit smoothie with coconut milk and acai berries anyone? 


 "Aspirin a day could dramatically cut cancer risk" What are your thoughts on this?

I have two family members with anaphylactic aspirin allergies so even though I am not allergic to it myself, I happen to not ever think about taking it. Internet research seems to reveal that yes, aspirin might help cut down the risk of cancers especially colon cancer. Aspirin does this by reducing chronic inflammation which can support the growth of cancer cells. Seems like an inexpensive and simple preventive measure to take for people who are worried about cancer risk. 

What I do know about aspirin is that it is derived from willow bark and this medicine is known to Traditional Chinese Medicine, Ayruveda and the Native Americans. As I will be starting my first year at ACCHS in the fall, I can't say for sure how TCM views aspirin or willow bark but will be interesting to keep the aspirin-cancer connection in mind as I learn more about the body and herbs from the TCM perspective.

From a chemical perspective, aspirin a simple chemical known as acetylsalicylic acid this is very similar to salicylic acid which is found in wart removers! And I have used this product successfully.  Are warts related to cancer? Yes. We know that HPV (genital warts) leads to cancer ...so now I'm thinking that there's really something to the aspirin finding. That's great - aspirin is inexpensive compared to most pharmaceuticals. The studies done on the cancer-aspirin connection seem to have compared people who were prescribed low doses of aspirin for 6 months or more by their doctor for other reasons and then were compared epidemiologically to people of similar demographics to see which group had the greater risk for cancer.  I mention this because now I am thinking it could be meaningful to take a  low dose of aspirin for  6-8 months. Maybe I'll try this to hedge my bets. 

No comments:

Post a Comment