Would you support the development of a "bionic" person?
I can immediately see the benefits of bionics for physically disabled individuals. For instance, if bionics would allow a wheelchair bound child to get up and walk... that would not only improve the life of the child but would reduce the caregiver in put time for the parents. Bionics for older people who need walkers and can no longer walk up stairs would have similar benefits- allow them to lead independent lives for longer and reduce their need for extra help getting through the day. (I'm imagining a robot suit -no surgery required- that an 80-something yr old could take on or off to help walk around without worries of falling )
I can imagine professional athletes obtaining bionics; although the use of this could be limited by sport oversight organizations. On the other hand there could develop an entire "Bionic NBA" or "Bionic NFL" separate from the "Natural NBA" or "Natural major league baseball" etc. Not sure how I feel about this, I can imagine superhuman sports becoming a thing but at the same time see natural human powers still being valued. Especially since good old- fashioned movement and exercise is vital to our health.
Speaking of superpowers... we could see the rise of real-life Batman and Spider-man along with real life bionic criminals.
Would your view change if this were for military purpose?
If technology were developed for the disabled, I think it would inevitably be implemented by the military. I would prefer if humans could "draw a line"at some point, but I don't think we would be able to. Even if one country banned the use of human bionics, some other country would invest in research and development and bionic enhancements would be available through an underground market. We just need to stop fighting wars in the first place, but fighting wars and the relentless advancement of technology seem to be the norm these days.
Hi Angie, you might appreciate this ESPN article on the use of bionics in sports.
ReplyDeletehttps://www.espn.com/espnmag/story?id=3357051